Five years have passed, we've added 2 boys to our family, and we planned another backpacking trip to Gibby Lake. In February, when we started making the plans, I surmised that this was going to be the best year to do a backpacking trip because a) Hyrum is still small enough to carry in the backpack; b) Roderic is the same age that Sabrina was the last time we did it, and it wasn't too bad to hike with a 4 year old; c) Ryan loves to go to the same place every 5 or so years; and d) I'm not pregnant.
To prepare for this 4 mile one-way hike, our family has gone on numerous bike rides through our neighborhood (up steep hills, I might add), I've gone on a 3-mile walk through our neighborhood daily, pushing the boys in the double stroller, we went on a couple of short hikes and we've gone swimming a lot. Both Ryan and I even mowed the lawn several times with Hyrum on our backs. When Ryan started to be nervous about the feasibility of the trip, I told him "I've been building up my endurance all summer, we are going." And was it worth it? You bet. Enjoy the pictures.

Requirements for hikers:
AND
AND
CAUTION: ROCKS AHEAD

They are good for
AND
Are we there yet? During the early part of the hike in, I swear we were stopping every 10 minutes for a 5 minute break. Amazingly, when we got to Hades Pass, I calculated that we were hiking a mile an hour. Not bad, for a young family.
We set up camp in the exact same area that we camped in 2003. All of the logs for sitting were the same as they were. Everyone had fun climbing and sitting on them.
Ryan and Sabrina were on water detail. Cool mountain spring water. Yum.
When we all attempted to walk around Gibby Lake, to see it from different vantage points, Sabrina got too close to the edge.
So all but Ryan turned around and went to sit in the sun and throw sticks into the lake.
Ryan walked all around Gibby Lake, taking pictures all along the way. And we waited.
And waited. And while we waited, I can't tell you how many rounds of this game we played. I lost track.Since we were hiking in on a Monday, we didn't expect to see many people on the trail. The trailhead parking lot was pretty much full when we got there and a Boy Scout Troop passed us on the hike. On Tuesday, Ryan came across these firefighters.

If we would have kept following the maintained trail, we would end up at Lodgepole Lake. It's at the bottom of a steep incline. I didn't want to hike back up. Instead,
Roderic hates hiking. At least that is what he will tell you now. I kid you not, we were not more than 20 feet from the parking lot when he first sat down and refused to move any further. (He was upset that he was not the leader in our group.) Ryan, Sabrina and Carson were all ahead of us on the trail. I could not get him to stand. Thankfully, Ryan came back after what seemed minutes and helped me coax him to his feet and start walking. Then he saw a bridge that crossed a stream and he started running for it. Then he tripped on a rock and scraped up his elbow, wrist and knee. (see photos above for the tripping tears). It was really slow going. Ryan sent me on ahead with Carson and Sabrina and then tried to coax/drag Roderic up the trail. He felt really bad doing that when other hikers would pass him, so then he had a brilliant idea. He told Roderic that as long as he walked, he would tell him a story. And that is what we had to do EVERY time we wanted him to move along a trail. "Peter Rabbit", "3 Little Pigs", "Little Red Riding Hood", "the story of Carson", "Star Wars" as long as we talked, he would walk. Except on Tuesday afternoon, he asked his dad for a piggy back ride...
Truly Beautiful.
Hyrum perfected his pronunciation of the word 'water' while on this hike.
Wha-hoo! We did it! We actually survived our trip to the Uintas! When do we go again?
Ryan quickly got over to the creek to soothe his sore feet.
And the rest of them wanted in on the action.
A BIG "Thank You!" to my brother, Carson, for going on this trip with us. As we were packing up all of our stuff, we realized that it was not possible for Ryan to carry everything. Sure, Sabrina carried clothes and sleeping bags for herself and Hyrum, and I carried Hyrum's diapers, but everything else was supposed to be carried by Ryan. Way. Too. Heavy. He had an idea that he could hike up once, then hike down with Sabrina and retrieve a second backpack, to then hike up with. That got me to thinking, so we invited my little brother to come and be our 'pack horse' and he said, "Yes." Yes! So he carried all of the food. And became Roderic's favorite story-teller.
And now a good-bye to a good pair of shoes:

9 comments:
That looks like a lot of fun. What beautiful terrain. Looks like a lot of work too, to get a young family all that way. I loved the pictures.
Congrats, Gibby family! What an amazing feat (and your feet must be amazing, too).
Love, Leesha
I love the story telling! I hope you got that in a Shutterfly book...
This is a great story, beautifly documented, with wonderful pictures.
Yep, you went to Gibby Lake!
I recognised the trail, especially the "sidewalk rocks"
Great pics! Sounds like great fun.
I love how you got Roderic to move by telling him stories! What a great motivation tool! I'm impressed with how you spent the summer in "training." Looks like it paid off!
An epic post for an epic journey! I loved it.
Next stop, Arkansas! Pretty please? :)
Wow! Impressive that you did all that and the kids and you were smiling at the end. Sounds like it was a great vacation.
I'm so jealous! You looked like you had a great time! Thank you for posting all of the pictures. I thoroughly enjoyed them.
Post a Comment