Monday, December 8, 2008

Coffee Cake, anyone?

Happy 35th birthday, Ryan!

To celebrate his special day, I planned on buying him an ice cream cake from our neighborhood ice cream parlor. I didn't think to plan ahead, though, and order the cake in advance with the flavors of ice cream of my choice. So I went up to "Sweet Tooth" on Saturday night to look at their already made cakes. They had 3 to choose from. One was labeled 'Espresso Toffee', the other two weren't labeled at all. I asked the employee what they were and she said, "Oreo, almond and coconut." Those were seen on the outside of the cake. She almost lost me at coconut, but I remembered that Ryan really likes coconut, so I didn't rule it out. I asked what was on the inside and she said, "I don't remember. Probably sweet cream. It will be a mystery cake." I decided to purchase it, brought it home and put it in the chest freezer, so Ryan would have one surprise for his birthday.

Sunday after church, I invited the Keele family to join us for ice cream cake to celebrate Ryan's birthday. They came, we sang, Ryan blew out the candles, leaving 3 behind because he was overconfident that he would get them all and didn't leave enough breath to do another pass (his words not mine). I tried to cut the cake but it was too frozen, so Julie asked her husband to cut it for me. Inside the cake looked like chocolate cake with oreos mixed in. We gave Ryan a piece, and served the rest and then the complaints started rolling in. They said it tasted like coffee. I didn't believe it. It looked like chocolate. Then I had a bite and sure enough, it was coffee flavored ice cream. YUCK! I guess Ryan got 2 surprises for his birthday.

Today, I plan on calling my local ice cream parlor to let them know that it is imperative to label all of their ice cream cakes. I wouldn't have purchased that cake had I known it had coffee flavored ice cream inside.

Photos by Sabrina

6 comments:

Noelle said...

That is so frustrating! Hopefully they will comp you another ice cream cake.

Ralina said...

Happy Birthday Ryan!

Susie said...

Hahaha. That is hilarious. Glad I missed it. Oh, and happy birthday to the old man! :)

tammy said...

Isn't that the way it goes. You can never be too ready for the party! It's a funny story anyway! Happy Bday Ryan!

Michelle said...

Way to "come what may and love it"! (while keeping the Word of Wisdom, of course!) :)
Too funny. Did you take it back for and exchange? I bet they would let you do that. They should, anyway!

Renae said...

That's funny! When I was a teenager, I tried this jamocha flavor of icecream. I didn't know that mocha was a kind of coffee. I thought it was wonderful and ordered it again and again. Then when I found out that it was coffee, I was ssooooo disappointed. It was my favorite flavor. Oh well, no more mocha icecream for me. It's good stuff though. Darn!