Thursday, February 25, 2010

Girls Only Weekend

I got to spend an enjoyable 3 day weekend with this girl in the Bay Area.

We arrived early Friday morning, checked into our hotel and then went to Jack London Square for lunch and a tour of the USS Potomac (FDR's Floating White House). It was basically a private tour because we were the only tourists around.

FDR gave 3 of his "Fireside Chats" from the radio room of this boat. I took a picture of the gear because I thought my Father-in-law would appreciate the equipment.


Two of Ryan's sisters, one sister-in-law, and their three girls arrived later in the afternoon and we went off to the Oakland LDS Temple. What a beautiful place! Thanks again to Melissa for hanging out with Hailee and Sabrina at the Visitor's Center while we were in the Temple.



Afterwards we went to In N Out Burger for dinner. YUM!!!


On Saturday, we drove into San Francisco, following a misguided GPS affectionately named "Ophelia" (we have no idea why she wanted us to drive south from Oakland to get to San Francisco). We drove down Lombard Street, went around the block, found a place to park and then walked down Lombard Street. While everyone else walked up Lombard Street, I waited with Sabrina for them to drive down again and got in near the bottom.

Then we went to the Presidio and walked along a path leading us to the Golden Gate Bridge. There were a lot of runners on the bridge. I don't think I'd choose to run on it for two reasons: the noise, and the engine exhaust.

The reason this trip was planned by Ryan's sisters was for us to go see "Wicked". We wasted too much time looking for parking so we got to eat fast food for lunch instead of a sit-down meal. "Wicked" was enjoyable, but I found myself getting bored in the first act--thinking intermission must surely be coming soon. There were technical difficulties and so there were no moments of defying gravity during the song "Defy Gravity". I don't think it helped that a man with a big head was sitting right in front of me and I could hear the ushers talking to each other behind me. Sabrina really liked how this musical explained things from "The Wizard of Oz".

After church on Sunday, we had a few hours before our flights, so we drove back into San Francisco (ignoring Ophelia's pleas to turn around) and found Alamo Square and the famous Painted Ladies Victorian houses, that you see in the opening credits of TV's "Full House" We sang the theme song as we circled the block. There was one for sale, and Michelle called the number and asked the price...it was only $1.5 million.

3 comments:

Curtis Gibby said...

Re: The Full House houses.

I read online that the one for sale is THE Full House house (at least that's its claim to fame), so that's why they're trying to get a lot more for it than it's really worth.

Trever and Heather said...

I wanna go back!

Sabrina said...

That trip was sooooooooo much fun!!! Wicked was AWSOME!!!