Thursday, July 22, 2010

Snack Time

I have it in my head that if I know how to make a delicious snack from scratch, I should do that instead of buy it in a package at the store. Now that I can make these Granola Bars, I have a hard time buying any. We eat them fast, before any pictures can be taken. I even allow them to be made in the summertime and heat up the house with my oven. Yes, they are that good.

Granola Bars

1 c. melted butter
1 t. salt
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. coconut
1 t. vanilla
1 c. crisp rice cereal
2 T. dry powdered milk
5 c. quick oats
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. mini chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, mini M&Ms or dried fruit (raisins, craisins, blueberries, etc.)


Mix all ingredients, in a large bowl, until all of the oats are coated in the honey and butter. (Batter should be sticky.)

Spray a 9x13 or 11x14 pan and put mixture into the bottom of the pan. Spread the oat mixture into the bottom of the pan until flattened.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes and cut into desired shape (rectangle). A pizza cutter works best. Store in sandwich baggies for a portable snack.

3 comments:

Susie said...

Yay! Thanks for the recipe!

Steph said...

These sound so good! I'll probably be making them tomorrow!! :) Thanks!

The Fieldings said...

Sounds yummy!