Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Ohio Star

I've now attended the 3 classes in the first session of beginning quilt making. The instructor was very helpful. For my quilt, I've decided to make 6 blocks. When I'm done, it will hang on a wall in my bedroom.

For homework after the first class, I had to go shopping for fabric. I'm glad I had Stacy there with me to pick out the fabric. The next step was washing, drying and ironing! I had no idea that ironing was such an important part of quilting. This was the first time I ironed fabric right after pulling it out of the dryer.

At class 2, we learned how to cut the fabric. Rotary cutters are my friend! The homework for this class was cutting out the squares and triangles needed. Happily, I got this done in class, so all I needed to do at home was clip the corners of the triangles. With the corners clipped, the sewing should go smoothly.

Laying out the fabric--just to see.

Yesterday afternoon, when I layed out the fabric in the Ohio Star design, I couldn't see the star. I thought I might need to change out the fabric to make it more dramatic. But there was no time to do that before class, so I decided that I'd sew one at class and then change the fabric for the other 5.

However, after sewing and pressing the one block at class, I am able to see the star and I think it looks pretty good. Our teacher gave us some awesome hints on how to sew triangles without pinning them. I am so glad I'm taking this class!

My first completed Ohio Star block.

Now, to get ready for the second session of beginning quilting class, I need to sew the remaining 5 blocks and then purchase sashing and border fabric. Can I get this done by Oct. 23? I plan to.

1 comment:

Topsy said...

Beautiful square Malauna!