Thursday, June 5, 2008

Construction Zone Birthday

Roderic loves the sandbox his dad built for him last summer. A lot. He happily spends hours out there digging with his shovel, driving his trucks around. When I saw the Dump Truck birthday cake when looking for a cake idea for Hyrum's first birthday, I knew I had found the perfect birthday cake for Roderic. I've been planning on it ever since. Only one problem. I was not able to ever locate a generic dump truck in my price range. (I was not about to spend more than $10 on a dump truck with all sorts of bells and whistles and noises, etc.) Happily, I found this wheel barrow and decided it would work splendidly.











Roderic got to invite over a few friends to play with him on his birthday. Roderic and I had a fun time tricking them into eating dirt and mud for his birthday cake. Although, Clara wanted none of it. We had to work extra hard to get her to eat one bite. [I guess her parents (and older sisters) have done an excellent job of teaching her that dirt is not delicious. She did like the bugs though, because they were like fruit snacks.]

Everyone got a shovel and a rake to play in the sandbox. I got to watch them like a hawk to make sure they didn't let the sand leave the sandbox. Our poor grass can't handle any more sand. Lily, Clara, Stockton and Roderic all had a fun time digging (and burying toys) in the sand.







Happy Birthday Roderic!

3 comments:

Shanda said...

What a fun, creative party! The pictures look great! I may have to copy the idea of the dirt cake for Tegan's birthday this year...

Noelle said...

Great dirt cake. If you ever want to make a really disgusting cake, try this one: Kitty Litter Cake,

Steph said...

The cake is fantastic! What a great party idea. Hope you had lots of fun.