Last week, Sabrina (and I) got to attend the annual Idaho Suzuki Institute. It was held on the campus of Northwest Nazarene University in Nampa. They had onsite child care available and I used it Monday afternoon; the rest of the week I had either a paid babysitter or friends who volunteered to watch Roderic and Hyrum.
If you were to ask Sabrina what her favorite part of the week was she'd say "Science class, except for Monday." (when the teacher didn't show up), and "The lunches were so good!" (She (we) enjoyed eating a chocolate/vanilla twist cone every day). I found it really remarkable that she would play her violin in classes for 5 hours a day (standing up the whole time in 4 of them) and then come home and practice. When we went to her lesson with Mrs. Hines this week, Sabrina showed much improvement to her.
I took some video footage of her repertoire class on Thursday. There is power in hearing 17 violins played in unison. This song is "Hunter's Chorus".
Due to my brother, Colter, leaving for a mission this week, we didn't stay for the final string concert on Friday. In years past, that concert has been amazing. All of the participants come up onto the stage when the songs become their playing level, so it ends with all of them playing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" in unison. Wow.
We did stick around for the Enrichment classes recital on Friday afternoon. Sabrina was in the beginning fiddling class. They played 3 songs, "French Waltz" (a waltzed version of French Folk Song), "Rubber Dolly" and "Twinkle HoeDown". Her favorite? "Rubber Dolly," of course.
The only complaint I have is that we don't have any friends (or family, get working on it Shanda) who go to Institute. Lindsay, I think we should look into going together next year. Either here or in SLC. Emma and Sabrina would have a blast!
4 comments:
That would be really fun. But wouldn't Sabrina be in a different group than Emma? What book is she in now? Maybe it will motivate Emma to work hard.
Sabrina is in book 2. If they're not in the same book, they could be in the same enrichment classes, though. And orchestra.
Those videos sure bring back memories. The kids sound really good.
Malauna, having one or more of my children learn violin is on my list. A long list. A list I'm not doing a great job of completing. Still a list just the same. Looks like Sabrina had a fun week!
Post a Comment