It truly is a historic day. With 53% of the popular vote, Barack Obama is now the President-Elect of the United States of America. He didn't get my vote, or Ryan's, or Sabrina's (in her GATE class poll). I find it interesting that the last time a sitting senator was voted President of the USA was JFK in 1960. They both had a perceived hurdle to overcome with the voters - Kennedy being a Roman Catholic and Obama being African-American. They both can wow crowds with their speeches. I sure hope that the similarities end there and JFK's end doesn't happen to Mr. Obama. I also find it extremely BORING that the Vice President-elect is also a sitting senator. As luck would have it, though, we shouldn't be hearing much from him.
I was listening to Talk of the Nation today on NPR and one of the commentators was saying how he heard on CNN someone talking about Govenor Palin being a top contender for the GOP nomination in 2012 and he thought, "Wait, this election was just yesterday, it's too early for 2012." And all I say to that is, remember the Democratic National Convention in 2004? Right after Mr. Obama gave his stirring speech, the network news guys were saying that he was the up-and-coming member of the Democratic party. And a few minutes later, he was sitting down with a network news anchor who asked him about a run for the president in 2008. Mr. Obama replied that it was John Kerry's convention and he wouldn't say anything about it. I think the media has been in love with the idea of Mr. Obama being the president since they first heard him talk.
But I digress. This election has pushed Ryan over the edge. He has started a blog. You can check it out here. Like I said, it truly is a historic day.
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Well since you brought it up, I voted for Obama because I am sick and tired of the status quo in our country and I'm ready for a change. Now before you get too upset at me, please remember that my vote for Obama counted as far as pretty much nothing with all the electoral votes in my state going for McCain. It is still nice to be able to have a voice.
I voted for McCain but I really wish the Republican candidate had been Mitt Romney.
Post a Comment