Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Snow fell in Boise on Saturday and Sunday. Then it turned cold, really cold. Like high temperatures being in the mid 20s, and the low temperatures being in the teens. It is so cold the snow will not compact in your hand to make a snowball, let alone a snowman. Not to be deterred though, Ryan, Sabrina and Roderic used buckets to make a snow fort (it is a wall to fend off attacks). It has frozen solid and it is sturdy enough for Roderic and Sabrina to sit on it.



This morning, Roderic wanted to go out and play in the snow (it was maybe 18 degrees). I bundled him up in his snowsuit, coat, hat, boots, gloves and sent him out. He came back in minutes later for a knife to use on the snowfort. Hyrum decided he too needed to go outside, so I put him in his snowsuit, coat, gloves, hat and shoes (memo to self: get BOOTS for Hyrum and waterproof gloves). I pulled the boys around on the sled in our front yard, then they took turns pulling each other. We invited our neighbors to come out and then we went for an adventure. We went to the field at the end of our cul-de-sac and let the kids go sledding down the 4' hill. When Susie and I were sufficiently cold, we gave the children a time limit and then came back home to warm up. It was fun - and COLD!





It is 22 degrees F right now. Tonight Sabrina gets to go see "Winter Gardens Aglow" at the Idaho Botanical garden with the Activity Day girls in our ward. To prepare, she'll be wearing her thermals, regular clothes, snowpants, heavy coat, hat, scarf, gloves. Perhaps I'll even send her with some hand warmers from our emergency kit.

I'll stay home with the boys and sip some cocoa.

3 comments:

Susie said...

Wanna do it again on Saturday? It's supposed to hit 11 degrees - at 3:00 p.m., that is.

Malauna said...

You bet!

Trever and Heather said...

It is COLD!!! Last night we went out to deliver our neighbors little gifts and only made it to 5 of the 15 houses on our list. Ava was sufficiently warm- but Trever and I were freezing to death...