Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Violin Camp, day 2


The traffic to drive to and from Draper has not been bad so far. In fact, this morning we left the Ludlow's at 7:35 am and arrived at the school at 8:25. Tomorrow we'll leave even later. The first class is at 9 am.


The first class of the day was Repetoire. Mr. Hutchins from Maryland is letting everyone in the class take turns being the leader of their master class song, going in order of birthdays. The first student is played a song that Sabrina hasn't learned yet. Instead of being asked to sit down and listen he had her (and everyone else who hadn't learned it) to play the first part and the last part because it's the same as in another song she does know.

Next up was Technique. Mr. Van Reeth from Ohio involved the students right at tuning by having them play a rhythm and then he asked them what song they know how to play has that rhythm. Sabrina gave the correct answer, "Theme from Witches Dance" by Paganini. He gave them homework of learning the composers names of several songs they played. And he told them a cool story about a bowline fish under the dock, dangling feet into the water almost being tickled by the fish, a baby cousin who came along with two bumps and another cousin who is scared of putting their feet into the water. The kids made some great bowholds after that.

I have been working on binding a quilt for my mom during the classes. When I first had the idea to work on it this week, I thought it would take me quite some time. But, I guess since it is a lap quilt (and I sew fast?) it didn't take me long. I finished the last stitches during her Master class. [My mom bought the quilt at a scout auction. The top was pieced and the batting and backing were attached with pins. When we were down over Memorial Day weekend, she gave me the quilt and asked me to finish it. I quilted it using Angie's awesome quilting sewing machine last Thursday and then made a bias binding on Saturday.]

The Student Honor Recital today featured Rocky Mountain Strings, a group of 34 violinists. They played 4 pieces, each one directed by a different violinist from the group. Millionaire Hoedown is a crowd pleaser, especially when there are actions involoved.

2 comments:

Noelle said...

That was a really good video. Way to go Sabrina!

Ryan said...

I'm glad that it looks like it's fun!