Over Memorial Day weekend, we decided to stop at Promontory Summit, Utah to see where the transcontinental railroad was completed. We've got 2 young train fans, you know. And the rest of us are fans of history.
Did you know that EVERY day from May 1 to Labor Day, they bring out the Jupiter and 119 Locomotives? And, EVERY Saturday and holiday they have live reenactments of the Last Spike ceremony? We arrived shortly before 10 am and got to watch them bring out the Jupiter. Then we got to wait a while, work on the Junior Ranger program, shop in the visitor's center, talk to the knowledgeable Fireman who works on the Jupiter - what a cool job - Ryan talked, and talked, and talked to him, and took photos. We watched them bring out the 119 and then waited some more. And then we watched the reenactment, getting a little sunburned along the way. (We had sunscreen in the van, we just didn't put any on.)

Andrew J. Russell’s “East and West Shaking Hands at Laying of Last Rail" (aka The Champagne Photo)
Right before the reenactment began, Ryan was asked to portray the Mormon Bishop that President Brigham Young sent in his behalf (I don't remember his name). For his part, he got to stand and wave to the crowd.
It was a really neat place to visit, so when you've got a chance, go visit Golden Spike National Historic Site! We're making plans to be there in 10 years, for the sesquicentennial celebration.

3 comments:
Malauna actually didn't let me talk to the Fireman for very long. I only know about half of the controls inside the engine now. What'll I do when I'm on a runaway train where the driver has had an arrow through his heart?
Wow! How cool!! I wish we could have come with you.
You just do what the kids on the Polar Express movie do: Believe, or in other words, trust in your heart (and not in the heart of the guy who has an arrow through it).
On another funny note, at first as I was reading your post, I thought that you said that they brought out 119 locomotives besides the Jupiter. I thought, man, that is like a ton more development there than there used to be 15 years ago, but then I remembered my history.
"they bring out the Jupiter and 119 Locomotives" - I was wondering why you capitalized Locomotives.
Post a Comment