Friday, July 17, 2009

Summer Reading

Our Library! has a summer reading program for kids that we participate in every year. The kids need to read or be read to 3 hours and 20 minutes. When they complete this, they get all sorts of cool prizes from local businesses (BOGO Ice Skating (Idaho Ice World), Free kid's meal (Applebees), free Fries (Carl's Jr), free Sundae (Elmer's), free ticket to Stampede Rodeo, free baseball ticket (Boise Hawks), free pass to Discovery Center of Idaho, free book, etc.). Sabrina finished reading 3 hours and 20 minutes before the end of June. Roderic and Hyrum have about 30 minutes left.

They also have a summer reading program for adults where for every 2 books you read (for yourself or to children) you get to enter a drawing for a cool prize. This has gotten me to think about what books I've read this summer.

  • The Black Candle by Catherine Cookson
  • The Tale of Desperaux by Kate Dicamillo
  • Dear America Series: Survival in the Storm by Katelan Janke
  • The Bailey Chronicles by Catherine Cookson
  • Behind Every Good Man by John Bytheway
  • Dear America Series: My Face to the Wind by Jim Murphy
  • Her Good Name by Josi Kilpack
  • Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
  • Austenland by Shannon Hale
  • The Chosen by Chiam Potok
  • A Wrinkle In Time by Madeline L'Engle
  • The Promise by Chiam Potok
  • Dear America Series: A Coal Miner's Bride by Susan Campbell Bartoletti
  • Dear America Series: Freedom's Wings by Sharon Dennis Wyeth

What books have you read?

4 comments:

Susie said...

Ugh. You shame me. I've read:
Tale of Despereaux
Wild Swans
I'm a few chapters into No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency
And I'm right on target for our ward's Book of Mormon challenge.

Luella said...

Princess Bride by William Goldman
Austenland by Shannon Hale
Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot
Mists of Avalon
by Marion Zimmer Bradley
(it's a really long book, and I'm still reading it)
Doctrine and Covenants

Luella said...

oh, and I get to count books I've read with my children?
Indian in the Cupboard
by Lynne Reid Banks
Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
The Story of Joseph Smith
and of course for Relief Society -
Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith

Keturah said...

I've only read "The Hunger Games". I enjoyed it.