Monday, December 14, 2009

The Ten Virgins

I was cast for this part long before I even was aware that it was a stage production. For my birthday this year, my visiting teaching companion and friend, Amy Mella, gave me the book "The Ten Virgins" by Emily Freeman. She told me that I reminded her of Leora in the story, the wise virgin who shares her lantern light with others who are lost along the path.

Then in October, my neighbor asked me if I'd play the part of a narrator in our Relief Society's production of "The Ten Virgins: A Musical Parable." I accepted, happy to not have to memorize any lines - the narrators get to read the script - only for her to change parts a few weeks later to play Leora. Apparently, it was meant to be. I had a hard time memorizing my two paragraph monologue, but even harder was the song. I just didn't get it. The night of our performance was the first time it made sense.

The production occurred at our Christmas dinner on December 1. We played to a full house of Relief Society sisters and Young Women. It was a joy to be a part of it. Enjoy this recording of me singing Leora's song "Lantern Light".




On a side note, I found it was quite hilarious to be 22 weeks pregnant, with a nice baby bump, portraying a virgin. I joked with my fellow cast members that it was immaculate conception.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Very pretty! Wish I could have been there--sounds like a great program!

faline said...

Beautiful!