Monday, May 2, 2011

Bunny Pie

First, some history about Bunny Pie. When I was in junior high, my older siblings sold solid chocolate bunnies as fundraisers for choir or band. We had an excess and had to come up with a way to use them up. And that was how Bunny Pie was born. (They also sold solid chocolate Santas as fundraisers, but Santa Pie never sounded as appetizing as Bunny Pie.) When you don't have a bunny and still want bunny pie, 2 cups of chocolate chips can be substituted.

Ryan gave me a lot of chocolate for my birthday, including this bunny. He later mentioned that he was hoping I'd make bunny pie out of it. I've never made it for my children and thought it was high time to introduce them to the wonders of

BUNNY PIE

First grate some of the ear so you've got some shavings to put on the finished pie.

Put remainder of the bunny in a double boiler and melt. Stirring often. (After I took this photo, I removed the bunny and broke it into several smaller pieces to speed the melting process.)
If you don't think there is enough chocolate from the bunny, add some chocolate chips. I put in an additional 2 handfuls. This chocolate is not smooth because the bunny was "crispy" with rice. (Never made it with this kind of bunny before. It actually adds a good texture to the pie.)
Put the cool whip in a bowl, getting ready to mix. I pulled the cool whip out of the freezer maybe 5 minutes before this step. It worked, but it is easier to mix when thawed.
Pour the melted chocolate onto the cool whip. Mix quickly. The chocolate hardens when cooling.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared graham cracker crust. (Sabrina made this crust using her recipe from last summer's cooking class and it is delicious!)
Sprinkle with the reserved bunny ear shavings, cover and freeze until ready to serve.



Bunny Pie
1 solid chocolate bunny or 2 cups chocolate chips
1 tub of cool whip
1 graham cracker crust

Grate some of the chocolate bunny ears for shavings on top of the finished pie. Put the bunny in a double boiler and melt. Put cool whip in a bowl. Pour melted chocolate over the cool whip and mix, quickly. Spoon chocolate cool whip mix into prepared graham cracker crust. Sprinkle with shavings. Cover and freeze.

1 comment:

heroineworshipper said...

Can't imagine what it's like to hope a heroine would make bunny pie.