I remember in the 8th grade telling some of my friends, during Algebra class, that I could hardly wait to have President Monson be the prophet because I loved all the stories he told during his General Conference talks. I know, what a silly thing to say, but I did say it. Looking back, I have really enjoyed these past 19 years of President Benson, President Hunter and President Hinckley.President Benson died a few days before I graduated from Seminary. Even though his signature was on the diploma, the graduation service was under the direction of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
President Hunter died during my Freshman year at Weber State University. During that quarter of school, I was taking "Presidents of the Church" at the Ogden LDS Institute of Religion. He died near the end of the quarter, right when it was time for our class to talk about "How a new Prophet is chosen."
I have a testimony of living prophets. For these past almost 13 years, President Hinckley has been God's mouthpiece on earth. He spoke with love. He spoke with authority. In Relief Society today, we had a lesson on his most recent General Conference talk "Slow to Anger." He had some very inspired counsel for me in that talk. Every time I heard him speak, I felt the Holy Ghost testify of the truth of his words. I heard his love for all of God's children. I loved hearing his sense of humor.
I decided a couple of weeks ago to have our ward choir sing "My Redeemer Lives" (1985 Hymnbook #135) next month (over President's Day Weekend). Now, with his passing, it makes that selection even more appropriate. And now his testimony, is my testimony.
I know that my Redeemer lives,
Triumphant Savior, Son of God,
Victorious over pain and death,
My King, my Leader, and my Lord.
He lives, my one sure rock of faith,
The one bright hope of men on earth,
The beacon to a better way,
The light beyond the veil of death.
Oh, give me thy sweet Spirit still,
The peace that comes alone from thee,
The faith to walk the lonely road
That leads to thine eternity.
Triumphant Savior, Son of God,
Victorious over pain and death,
My King, my Leader, and my Lord.
He lives, my one sure rock of faith,
The one bright hope of men on earth,
The beacon to a better way,
The light beyond the veil of death.
Oh, give me thy sweet Spirit still,
The peace that comes alone from thee,
The faith to walk the lonely road
That leads to thine eternity.
3 comments:
Thanks Malauna
I was on my mission when President Hunter died and President Hinckley was sustained as the president of the church. It is interesting how much these men impact and influence our lives. To me, that is also a testimony. Thank you for sharing yours.
Ditto. How appropriate it will be to sing his hymn so soon after his passing.
Post a Comment