We've lived in this house for almost 3 years. The only backyard neighbors we have are rabbits, quail, hawks and an occasional owl. It hasn't been a high priority to get shades for these windows in our "Great Room". Standard curtains were out because we all enjoy the view from these windows and since the windows have decorative moldings around them I wasn't sure how to hang a curtain rod, anyways. I don't like vertical shades. At all. I thought horizontal shades would look odd. That left me with roman shades. Since these windows aren't a standard size, any pre-made shade would have to be special ordered at a great expense. After doing a Google search on home-made roman shades, I found make-roman-shades.com where they walk you through the whole process. I bought some unbleached muslin at Joann Fabric (at a killer price of 50 cents a yard) and purchased 2 kits (one for each window) from make-roman-shades.com. The kits came with liner fabric, and all the hardware for making the shades (everything was pre-cut, so I just had to sew and install).
I am really pleased with how these turned out!

7 comments:
Beautiful job malauna. Do they just pull up when you want light? Dont' know what roman shades are?
Hooray! You did such a great job! Now, can you make one for my back door?
Nisa: Roman shades, when pulled up, fold up on them selves. I made flat roman shades. You have seen balloon roman shades in the Boise Temple.
Susie: I'm not sure how you'd hang them on your back door. We'll have to think of something else.
So what would it take for you to make those same shades for my living room windows? While we're at it, what about the basement windows right below them? The shades you made are gorgeous!
Your shades look great. I had never heard of roman shades before, but after a saw the picture I recognized them. To be honest, they are not something I've even seen that much. Great idea. You are very talented!
These are fabulous! I've heard they are hard to make, but you make it sound easy! It's just that you're very talented!! I'll call you when I need them for my new windows, as I am not blessed with the sewing gene. :)
Where do you find the time? You are the ideal homemaker.
Post a Comment