Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I Love to See the Temple

About 3.5 years ago our stake Relief Society challenged the sisters in our stake to increase our personal temple attendance. I sat at that meeting with baby Roderic in my arms thinking to myself that surely they were not talking to me. I kept that thought in my head for the next 6 months and then I had an epiphany on how I could regularly attend the temple.
I organized a Temple Playgroup. That first group consisted of 6 ladies, me included. Combined we had 13 children, the oldest being 5. During the summer, we met twice a month and then when school started, we met weekly. Three women would go to the temple each time and three women would stay and watch all the children at one house. It worked amazingly well. The children were pleasant, as if they knew that their moms were doing temple work. As Enrichment leader, I opened it up to the entire Relief Society and we had several groups form. Now fast forward to today. Our ward currently has one Temple Playgroup. We meet every other Wednesday. We have 7 ladies in the group, so four will attend the temple each time and 3 will watch the 11 children.

I got to attend the temple this morning. I had amazing things come to me while there. A friend shared her insights with me. It was wonderful. I am so glad that the Lord inspired me to create these Temple Playgroups.

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

You've told me about this before but I am still amazed by it. Brilliant! Now can you figure out how to implement this as a homeschooler?

Susie said...

It is brilliant. I'm glad you still get to enjoy it. I still long for that first temple playgroup. Right now, I'll just have to settle for trading off with my husband.

Topsy said...

Fabulous Idea! I need some ideas for how to manage going to the temple with an hour drive, each way, attached

Renae said...

That is a great idea. I'm in the same boat as Nisa.

Michelle said...

Maluana, you are brilliant as ever! I have always loved that about you--yes, your brilliance, but I mean especially your love for and determination to attend the temple. I still have fond memories of being in the Salt Lake temple with you (and others). We're 2 1/2 hours away from our temple, but we can trade off with other families at a nearby stake center. Just takes a little co-ordination. :)

Michelle said...

Thanks Malauna!