Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Bateman Family

My sister, Shanda, has been scanning old slides from my parent's collection. Here is one from 1971. This picture is of my mom's family standing in front of their house in upstate New York (I think Trumansburg is the township). She is the one in the back row with a mop of hair on the top of her head. I'm sure its a hair piece. They are standing in birth order, except for the baby in Grandma's arms. Here are their names: [back row] Theodore, Rachelle, Georgie Gay, Faline, Teddie, Lamona, Gayla, LaDawn, [front row] Monte, Kelly, Holly, Brennan, Luella, and Noelle. (Perhaps my dad is the photographer.) Yes my grandma gave birth to 13 children (from 1950 to 1971), 12 living to adulthood. Those 12 children have a combined 55 children.

I think LaDawn has a classic grouchy face. Gayla doesn't look that happy, either. Noelle is doing the classic 3 year old thing to do and not look at the camera. I think all of Rachelle's babies have looked like her! (It must be that Bateman cowlick.) My mom had already had 2 children when this picture was taken.

3 comments:

Noelle said...

great picture. Rachel has already learned to smile for the camera. She is quite a ham. Obviously I was not a ham at all. I must have gotten over that, though!

Amber Bonner said...

Hey, I'm a part-Bateman too! (Farther back than yours- like my Great-Grandfather or something like that). Does that make us cousins?

Malauna said...

I'll take you as a cousin, Amber!