I love you. I appreciate the fact that you showed me how to be a happy father. I remember you being jolly most of the time we were together as a family.
As a child, I recall feeling a deep love of nature from you as well.
For Father's Day, here are some recent shots of our family enjoying life, following along these two themes.
Love,
Ryan
This is just after lunch, when Malauna gave me 3 Fresh Aire CDs for Father's Day. The kids were really nice to me, as you can see. Kallise has been calling me "daddy" for the past 2 days.
Here's a picture that Roderic took today of me and the kids after Church. This is only the 2nd time I've ever let Roderic take pictures. Man was he excited trying to figure out the camera!
Here's a look at Roderic's new sandbox! Actually, it's one of the 'small' dunes at Bruneau Dunes. The kids really dig it.
Here's a look at Roderic's new sandbox! Actually, it's one of the 'small' dunes at Bruneau Dunes. The kids really dig it. It looks warm, and it can be really warm--I was afraid it was going to be too hot, since it basically had been 2 weeks earlier when I was there with the Scouts.
But it actually was only about 60'F, and the wind often made it cold on this side of the hill. On the other side--the sun-baked side--the wind was almost completely blocked. So it was 80'F and like a day at the beach. Almost paradise--except for the perpetual sand-showers from the already mentioned wind-storm (what creates the dunes in the first place)
And it's much harder to climb up this side. Here's Sabrina, just having reached the top. For some reason, she didn't want to go down this side again--even though you really can sled down this side at a pretty good clip. Every step sends an equivalent amount of sand to your weight rolling down--most of the way to the bottom. And it pulls a similar amount of sand from above you, making it so that you are trying to progress up a riverbed of sand that you have set in motion. (This side is about as steep as gravity lets sand stack--owing to the raining-sand effect it perpetually gets.) So by climbing this side, we ensure that the dune continues to grow towards the lake. I'm not sure what they'll do when it gets there.
The flowers were in bloom! I thought I'd already missed them at the end of May when I was there with the Boy Scouts. But it turns out we were just too early--they bloom in June I guess.
Thanks for making me like to take pictures of flowers, Dad! I remember the slides of flowers you took when we'd go to Stake Camp or the like, and now I do the same!
Hyrum is still at an age where he loves to pose. And he loves to go anywhere that I go. Right before leaving, I remembered passing these flower outcroppings when we were heading to lunch, so I tucked him on my arm and ran over here (our car is in the lot in the background). He loves that!
Roderic had a lot of fun going down. To get him back up, I had to carry him. This is the hard side. He didn't think it was possible to move up, owing to the river effect that I already talked about. He tried it for a bit. But he's so practical when it comes to finding a reason to let his parents do something for him, as long as it's his idea.
Another example of how much Hyrum likes to just sit and pose. These bushes are beautiful in bloom!
Another, just a minute later. He is such an adorable boy! He loved the fact that I was letting him walk around. The dune in the background is the big dune. I've been here 6 times now, and never gotten to hike to the other side of the lake and climb it. I couldn't get any Scouts to want to do it--they said they did originally, but after playing on the small one for a few minutes, and seeing how much work it is to climb, they no longer want to. Same thing for Sabrina this time. Oh well--there's always next year.
Roderic and Hyrum love to throw whatever they can into whatever body of water we visit. This time, it was sand and muddy sand. They managed to enjoy themselves, and they actually didn't get much on their clothes. Mud that is. They transported plenty of sand in their clothes, hair, ears, etc.
Sabrina had a violin recital this past week--her first with a new teacher, Kendra Hines, she's gone to for about 8 months now. It was also the first that was outside, at her teacher's place. This shows the group. It's weird that she's one of the older, more advanced students in the group now.
Here she is afterwards with her celebratory bouquet of flowers from her teacher.
This was Memorial Day weekend up at Lucky Peak Dam (about 4 miles from us is all.) They had the "rooster-tail" on to let out some extra water. I sat Hyrum on a post to take this shot--that's why I'm holding him. He's a really good sport, like I said.

This is at Jump Creek Canyon, over by the Owyhee Mountains about 40 miles from us. (Fairly near the Oregon border.) We went here on Memorial Day. Malauna and Roderic are facing an incredible waterfall. That greenery just below them--Poison Ivy. It's all over the canyon. (The neighboring creek/canyon is called Poison Creek.) We were watchful, and the kids listened pretty good--and we didn't have any run-ins with it at all!

Here's the panoramic view that I took of this waterfall when I visited it in April of 2007 with the Scouts.

5/20/2008 -- We've had several really nice evening Rainbows lately.


This is at Jump Creek Canyon, over by the Owyhee Mountains about 40 miles from us. (Fairly near the Oregon border.) We went here on Memorial Day. Malauna and Roderic are facing an incredible waterfall. That greenery just below them--Poison Ivy. It's all over the canyon. (The neighboring creek/canyon is called Poison Creek.) We were watchful, and the kids listened pretty good--and we didn't have any run-ins with it at all!

Here's the panoramic view that I took of this waterfall when I visited it in April of 2007 with the Scouts.
5/20/2008 -- We've had several really nice evening Rainbows lately.
Did I mention that Hyrum poses well for pictures? (5-25-2008)
1 comment:
Happy Father's Day Ryan! I'm glad you hijacked Malauna's blog. A very interesting and visually stimulating post.
Post a Comment