Friday, March 5, 2010

Baby Quilts

Soon after I discovered I was pregnant in 2003, I decided that I needed to make my baby a quilt. I bought "The It's Okay if You Sit on my Quilt Book" from Amazon for instructions and ideas. I started working on it - I had enough fabric to make 2, one for me and one for my sister who discovered she was due with her second child around the same time as me. Progress came to a screeching halt when I miscarried in July. The fabric and the book sat untouched in my craft closet (I would burst into tears when I saw it). I even ended up making my sister's baby a completely different quilt.

When I found out I was pregnant again, it took me a while to pull out the supplies, but eventually I did and made this "Triple Rail Fence" quilt for Roderic. The quilt is tied with embroidery floss.

Pregnant again in 2006 and my baby needed a quilt. This time I found inspiration on the Internet and made a "Hugs and Kisses" quilt for Hyrum. The quilt is both machine quilted and hand quilted. The straight lines were quilted by machine and the circles I did by hand.


This time around, I used "The It's Okay if You Sit on my Quilt Book" for a pattern ("Mandevilla"). I started buying the fabric weeks before I was ready to tell people I was pregnant. I made a goal to have the quilt finished and ready to bind before my trip to San Francisco, because binding a quilt is a good on the airplane activity. And the flight was just long enough for me to finish it!


For the back of this quilt, I used flannel (I usually use flannel for backing on baby quilts - it's softer). One problem with flannel is that it shrinks a. lot. when you wash it. Since this pattern is a square quilt, I needed a square back, but all in flannel wasn't going to work unless I put some seams in, which I'm not a huge fan of. I ended up using some of the left over fabric from the front to make it a little more interesting. I like how it turned out.

And for full disclosure, it was Stacy's idea for me to bind the quilt in turquoise. I was hesitant at first, but I really like how it turned out!

2 comments:

Susie said...

Those take talent! And time - way to go Malauna!

Topsy said...

Tell Stace she is brilliant because I think the blue really makes the reds pop more!