Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Forgotten Birthday

There are some guys from China who are in town for training at Micron and they've been asking when they can go out to dinner with Ryan and some of his coworkers. Last week, on 2 separate occasions, Ryan told them that Tuesday would be just fine. He never looked at his calendar. So, Ryan went out to dinner with some guys from work last night. On his birthday.

I guess when you've lived 37 years, you need a lot of reminders hype leading up to your birthday in order to remember it.

When you're a kid and it's your dad's birthday, you get pretty excited. After all, birthdays are exciting! You get to open presents! Everyone sings to you! You get to choose what's for dinner! You get to eat cake! To help keep their excitement during his absence, I took the kids to dinner at McDonald's (half-price Happy Meals on Tuesdays!).


Quite a lot of 'smoke' coming off of that train. (The chocolate train was melted by the time he blew out the candles.)

He arrived home about 9 pm and was surprised by Roderic's idea of a surprise pajama party.

As for presents, he got a box of strawberry candy canes, chocolate cherries, a sleeping bag for winter camping and a pair of snowshoes.

3 comments:

heroineworshipper said...

Got to win the bread. Good head shot of Gibbyr.

Noelle said...

Happy birthday Ryan!

Ryan said...

You forgot to mention, love, about how torn I was on Monday over it when I realized, almost to the point of breaking down. And how I wanted to try to postpone even though I'd given my word. But there wasn't another night for the next 1.5 weeks. My colleagues at dinner found out that it was my birthday, and made a big deal out of it. They asked the waiter for birthday cake. So we ordered desert; I had coconut cake. The waiter gave me the candle from the center lamp of the table to blow out.

When I got home, it was sooo awesome to enjoy my kids' excitement. They must be the best ever! Thanks for working around it, Malauna love!

Ryan