Tuesday, September 23, 2008

American Lullaby

I learned this song in Junior High, when my choir teacher, Mrs. Loughton, recommend that I sing it for Solo and Ensemble. In my head, I always picture a strong soprano voice singing it like Billie Holladay or Ella Fitzgerald. I've sung it ocasionally to my children to help them fall asleep.

American Lullaby by Gladys Rich

Hush-a-bye you sweet little baby and don't you cry anymore.
Daddy is down at his stockbrokers office a keepin' the wolf from the door.
Nursey will raise the window shade high, so you can see the cars whizzing by,
Home in a hurry each daddy will fly, to a baby like you.

Hush-a-bye you sweet little baby and close those pretty blue eyes.
Mommy has gone to her weekly bridge party to get her wee baby the prize.
Nursey will turn the radio on, so you can hear a sleepy time song,
Sung by a lady whose poor heart must long, for a baby like you.

This song was requested by Roderic every night when Ryan was on his backpacking trip (and every night since that it is my turn to put the boys to bed). On the third night, Roderic told me that while I sing it, he closes his eyes and pictures himself in the story. I told him that I do the same thing. The next night, he asked me if I would change the words on the second verse, though. He doesn't want the mommy to play bridge. He wants her to go shopping instead, so here is Roderic's modified second verse:


Hush-a-bye you sweet little baby and close those pretty blue eyes.
Mommy has gone on her weekly shopping trip to get her wee baby a prize.
Nursey will turn the radio on, so you can hear a sleepy time song,
Sung by a lady whose poor heart must long, for a baby like you.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I like it! When do we get a video? :)

Malauna said...

I'm not sure that I'll video it, but perhaps when I buy the music, I'll make a sound recording of it. If only you were here to be my accompanist, though.