Wednesday, September 3, 2008

School Days

Sabrina started 4th Grade last Monday. When we first saw her and asked her how her first day of school was, she replied, "Awesome! awesome! and double awesome!" (She REALLY likes school.) Her teacher is Mr. Targee. He is single. He is my age. He has taught 4th grade at this school for the past 8 years (his entire career). After meeting him at 'Back to School Night,' I think he is going to be just what Sabrina needs. He has passion about learning and wants to ignite that passion in his students. He doesn't believe in homework for the sake of having homework. He doesn't believe in worksheets (i.e. busy work). He believes that now is the time to teach students pride in their own work. If a child did their very best work on an assignment, they should be happy with the grade given (even if it's not an A -- I may have problems with that). Here's to a great year in 4th Grade! Oh, and new this year, she gets to ride bikes to school with next-door neighbor, Emily, and down the street neighbor, Spencer, who are all in the same class.





Roderic is attending Ms. Stacey's Preschool this year. He was excited to buy his school supplies. He liked it when she came over for a 'home visit' to let him meet her. However, yesterday, when I announced that it was time to pack his backpack, he said, "I don't want to go to school! I just want to watch 'Bob the Builder!'" When I told him he needed to eat his lunch before going to preschool, he said, "I don't want to go to school!" After lunch, I asked who was ready to go to preschool, he replied, "I am! I am!" with his hand raised. (Hyrum also replied, "I am!" What a parrot.) In the van driving to preschool, Roderic said, "I don't want to go to school! I just want to play at a friends house!" When we pulled up to the preschool, he quickly unbuckled, opened the door and started running for the door. I had to hold him back to get some pictures of him! He told us afterwards that he had fun. They sang a cat song and watched an ABC movie. And one of the children in his class celebrated his birthday with cookies and a bag of treats. Now today, he said, "Mom! I missed preschool!" Nope, he only goes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. And if starting preschool isn't enough milestones for one day, he pooped in the toilet for the FIRST time last night! Wahoo!!!!!!!!







You can see him looking out the window, waiting for Ms. Stacey to open the door.
Then, he's off! (Ms. Stacey said they had to wait until they got to their cars to open
the birthday goodie bag.)
) Roderic and Clara

3 comments:

Shanda said...

I can see I need to post about Tegan and Janica starting school. It is a big milestone each year! Janica has been excited about pre-school for the past month and Kierra is the one in the depths of despair because she has to stay with Mom. Sigh. Oh well.

Noelle said...

Isn't it amazing how integral a part of our lives poop has become? Congratulations.

The Fieldings said...

After changing a gazillion diapers, it sure is a relief when you see the end in sight! (All puns intended.)