Thursday, September 18, 2008

Cleaning Hazards

I've been meaning to clean my windows. It's amazing how many dirty fingerprints crop up on them. Well finally I washed the windows and two days later, THUD. I asked Roderic what it was. He replied, "A bird." I looked out my patio door and sure enough there was a bird, a quail -- one of those birds who rarely fly, yet eat up all of the newly planted seeds in my garden. Flapping and flailing around. It died after a minute. It flew at full speed into my clean window due to the magnificent reflection of blue skies just beyond. So sad to watch.



Ryan gave it a proper burial behind our fence. I guess I should avoid cleaning my windows.

7 comments:

Susie said...

I love this story. Makes me feel tons better that I haven't cleaned my windows in six months. It's just too bad that it all resulted in a dead bird. So sad.

Michelle said...

Oh, poor little thing! Maybe you should leave a token smudge next time. :)

Noelle said...

This is why I never clean anything. Bad things can happen! One day I was washing dishes and a glass broke and cut my finger really badly. No more washing dishes - too dangerous!

Shanda said...

I'm with Noelle on this. You never know whe cleaning will hurt. Why take chances? Don't clean!

Steph said...

Just goes to show that cleaning is BAD! I've learned from this story! No birds will be lost due to the cleanliness of my windows!

Renae said...

You wicked woman! How dare you clean your windows! ;) That is sad though. Poor birdie. Thanks for the good excuse for my dirty windows though. Now if only you could come up with one for my laundry room. ...hhmmm?

The Fieldings said...

I had a vision of the Windex TV commercial while reading your post. The birds in those commercials survived with only bent beaks. So sad to learn that that is not reality...