Monday, September 8, 2008

A Broken Heart

Yesterday in Relief Society, the lesson was given by our Relief Society President. I always enjoy her lessons and this one was no different. It was titled "Broken Heart and Contrite Spirit." When Jesus Christ was crucified, that stopped sacrifice by the shedding of blood. Today, we are to offer a different kind of sacrifice to the Lord. Doctrine and Covenants 59:8 "Thou shalt offer a sacrifice unto the Lord thy God in righteousness, even that of a broken heart and a contrite spirit." She shared with us a conversation she had with her son about what having a broken heart means. Her son suggested that having a broken heart was not having your heart so sad that it is in pieces, but rather that it is more like the term "breaking in a horse." That is to say, having a broken heart means that we are more willing to follow the Master. That we are more connected to His ways. That we will do His will. And how do we do this? It's a daily process. Some days are going to be better than others. We're never going to get to the point where we can just glide along, though. If we think we can start to glide, that's pride entering in again. And pride is a sin. "When you think you can do something on your own - that's pride."

Have you ever thought of the human heart as a symbol of Christ? Well, she did. Our heart pumps the healing blood throughout our bodies, just as Jesus Christ, our spiritual heart, pumps healing throughout our spirits.

She showed us a picture of a painting that the artist intentionally put a razor slash through the canvas. The artist was revered with his foresight that what was inside the canvas was just as important as what was on it. And that got her to thinking, "The stuff that we go through in our pains is how we grow." The hurt we feel is what gets us to come back to Jesus. We need humility.

And I totally agree with her. The first time in my life when I felt the healing impact of the atonement in my life was when I mourned for the loss of my baby Xadie. In March of 2003 I was ecstatic. My braces came off - after 5.5 years. My crowns and bridges were installed in my mouth. And we found out that I was pregnant for a second time! I felt my pregnancy was going well, although I kept measuring small at the appointments and had some terrible back aches. At 18 weeks, my midwife was beginning to doubt my surety of when I got pregnant and said that if I didn't grow by the next appointment, we'd have to do an ultrasound. At 22 weeks, she couldn't detect a heartbeat using the dop-tone. After searching my abdomen for several minutes, she left to get the doctor who would help in doing the ultrasound. I was at this appointment alone - Sabrina was at a friend's house and Ryan was working - it was supposed to be a routine 15 minute appointment. I said a prayer in the exam room, asking for courage to be able to handle whatever I was about to be told. The ultrasound showed that the baby's heart had stopped beating. My midwife commented to me how calm I was with this news. I told her that I had faith in Jesus Christ. Through his atonement, I could be made whole. Even at the follow up appointments I had with her, she said how impressed she was with my outlook and demeanor. I had the hardest time singing the sacrament hymns for months afterward, even though I shortly afterward got pregnant with Roderic, because I was crying about the love Jesus has for me. Those hymns so beautifully portray the love of our Savior. And without the pain of losing baby Xadie, I would have missed out.

Our Relief Society President ended her lesson with a poem by Jane Mead, titled "Passing a Truck Full of Chickens at Night on Highway Eighty." Since I haven't contacted the author to ask permission to post it on my blog, I'm going to send you here to read it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post reminded me of an LDS song that's caught my attention on the radio: Kenneth Cope - Broken (link to watch someone's pirated copy on YouTube).

He lists things that are broken (clouds, soil, hearts, etc.) and ends with the conclusion, "I believe that God loves broken things." I really like that sentiment, but the music itself doesn't really grab me.

If you're interested in the song, someone has transcribed the lyrics here and it was on the 2005 EFY album, "A More Excellent Way".

Michelle said...

Thank you for sharing this, Malauna. I really liked it and learned from it. I have wanted to ask you about Baby Xadie, but wasn't sure how much you wanted to talk about her. I can relate to what you said about missing out on what you learned if you hadn't had that experience. The price of knowledge. . . .

Malauna said...

Thanks, Curtis. I do like that song.

Drop me a line anytime and we can talk, Michelle.

Steph said...

Very beautifully worded, Malauna. I had a similar experience, though I wasn't that far along. It was hard to understand, but the gospel is true, and it explains so much as to why these things happen. It is very comforting to me.

Noelle said...

Thank you for sharing your testimony.

Lindsay said...

Thanks for sharing this Malauna. I'm sure it is never easy to remember those feelings but I really appreciate your perspective. The atonement really is personally powerful.

The Fieldings said...

Very touching words Malauna. Thank you for sharing your experience with baby Xadie.

I like that name. Very unusual and pretty.

Malauna said...

I planned on naming my 2nd daughter Xadie Lorraine Gibby until I discovered the initials spelled "XLG" and decided that I couldn't allow that kind of torture to any daughter of mine who would have to go through junior high. "Mahana you ugly, come down from that tree" was bad enough.

Trever and Heather said...

Last week at work I was working on covers for a book that will be out in the Spring called "Hard Times and Holy Places"- it's basically about how our hard times in life become "holy places" that instead of bringing us down can actually buoy us up if we let them.

It's crazy to me how true that is, some of the most powerful moments I've had in my life were during or right after my miscarriage. I definitely felt like I was surrounded by a bubble of love for the first couple of weeks.

Anyway, it's an excellent manuscript (written by a lady who just went blind)- get the book when it comes out.

Luella said...

Thank you Malauna for such a beautiful post. I needed it tonight.